Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Paranorman: The Making of a Fan-Poster

Hello everyone! I spent most of last week working on a fan-poster for the upcoming movie Paranorman.

I posted the final image along with a little history of my weird-ness over at Jeb Kennedy, but I thought it might be nice to post a bit of my process here. I am by NO means an expert at drawing or coloring in Photoshop (i've only been seriously coloring in photoshop for about 6 months now, but here's how I usually do things:

FIRST, I start off with a very rough sketch (usually on paper, but in this case i just started on the computer)



After playing around with the sketch for awhile I "ink" the lines:


Next, I lay down the background and some flat colors. this helps me figure out an overal color-palette for the drawing (I also re-drew Norman in between this stage and the last one):


Now it's time to add the details (shading, lighting, etc...)


For the final version, I added the moon and title as well as a nice green glow coming from the ground. I also added some paper texture to add to the poster's character:


hope you enjoyed this little behind-the-scenes journey! I'm not even going to show you my layers for this piece because they are INSANE. I really need to get better and labeling and organizing those suckers.







No comments:

Post a Comment